Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Top 5 Favorite Movies

    I have always considered myself a movie-buff.  I work at a movie theatre so I get to watch movies for free all the time.  Today I’m going to discuss my top 5 favorite movies.

5) Donnie Darko.  Donnie Darko is a gripping psychological thriller that came out in 2001 and stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Drew Barrymore, and Patrick Swayze.  It is basically about this kid named Donnie who seeks the meanings and significants though his obscure visions.  This movie is very complex and is one of those movies you have to see more than once to actually understand it entirely. I’ve watched it numerous times and still find things that I haven’t picked up on before.  

4)  Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  This movie has a great story and has a lot of interesting and unsuspecting twists.  It stars Jim Carry and is basically about this guy who wants to forget about his ex-girlfriend so he has his memory wiped clean of her.  The movie explores his memory and the way he thinks in a very interesting and surreal manner.

3)  Home Alone.  This movie is one of my favorite movies because it is just so nostalgic.  It’s a great film and was my favorite movie since i was able to watch TV.

2)  American History X.  This movie is really smart and actually really hard to watch at times, but nonetheless is an extremely good film and conveys good messages.  It is about a neo-nazi that goes to jail for voluntarily killing two African Americans.  In jail, he actually befriends an African American and he realizes that what he did was wrong and tries to change things.  

1)  Pulp Fiction.  This is my all time favorite movie.  it is directed by Quintin Tarantino and stars John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, and Uma Thurman.  This movie has the best dialogue i have ever seen in a film.  It is very rich and has a way of ironically mixing humor and violence together making it very funny and interesting.  It also has a non-linear storyline and is highly stylized.  A must see for any fan of great films.

2 comments:

  1. nice movie choices, I think that watching Pulp Fiction on public cable is the funniest thing in the world (bad censors for infinite lols).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your choices are all complex movies. I like that. Eternal Sunshine is a great movie; I will have to re-watch it soon. I tried to watch Pulp Fiction but could not follow it; I know I should try again. Home Alone--nostalgic?? That's funny--to me it's not old enough to be nostalgic :)

    ReplyDelete